The LLCN studies sign languages and the deaf and hearing people who use them. The LLCN asks the following questions:
- What is universal about human language?
- How is signing different from speaking?
- How do bimodal bilinguals (e.g., ASL-English) differ from unimodal bilinguals (e.g., Spanish-English)?
- Does knowing a sign language affect how you think?
- Is the deaf, signing brain different from the hearing, speaking brain?
- How does deafness and literacy skill impact brain responses when reading?
Watch a video introduction to the Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience (LLCN) and its research!